Nos Partenaires

Auteur Sujet: The Big Scenario Training Post - Rory Miller  (Lu 5563 fois)

06 octobre 2010 à 16:42:08
Lu 5563 fois

** Serge **

http://chirontraining.blogspot.com/2010/10/big-scenario-training-post.html

Citation de: Rory Miller
Scenarios are an attempt at what Tony Blauer calls the constant search for the best fake stuff out there. All training is fake. If you are learning to send people to the hospital and people don't GO to the hospital, every rep of skill is combined with a rep of a bad safety habit. That's just the way it is.

At the most primitive level, scenario training involves bad guys in armor and a cluttered/realistic environment. The armor lets the student unload. The environment either lets the student be creative or points out that they aren't creative and their brain is stuck. But that's primitive, because it still deals with the problem as if it were one of physical skills.

So here are some points:

1) Scenario training always has a purpose. This is an explicit purpose, and one chosen in advance. To face a common or deep fear. To force a student to keep fighting. To help them see a developing situation. To test their legal judgment or tactical awareness. To find the little part that still thinks this fighting like a comic book-- that little part will get them killed.

2) The best purposes are tailored to the student. If I know you can fight, I will test whether you can tell when to fight. Whether you have the capacity to run when it is prudent. Whether you realize that crashing out of a ring of threats to escape is a qualitatively different skill than defeating a threat. If you have given me a clue that you have doubts about your ability to injure, I will put you in a scenario where you have to unload...and I will describe, probably graphically, what you strikes would have done had I not been wearing armor.

3) It takes good role-players. Through a mask, the role-players must be able to show the difference between an inexperienced and hyper-adrenalized mugger and an old con who has done a hundred robberies. The students should be able to glance at you (in full armor) and get a vibe that you are young or old, male or female or whatever you need to project.

4) The role-players have to be sensitive as well. Not in the "I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings" sense. Screw that. Part of being a bad guy is taking delight in hurting people at their most emotionally vulnerable points. By sensitivity I mean something that's a little hard to explain without an example. Sunday, one of the students, Robert, just kept moving while I was trying to incite a riot. I could tell by my own feelings that there wasn't enough of a hook there for a bad guy to work himself into the right kind of frenzy. If I had been insensitive I might have escalated it where a real threat wouldn't, and inadvertently punished Robert for a good tactic. That's bad training. Good tactics should be rewarded.

5) You have to guard against 'weirdness creep'. There are a handful of things that are likely to happen. I keep a list of 25 good scenarios with me. For the students, these are cool and new. I've done each of them dozens of times. Role players get bored. So what do role players do? They have to fight the tendency to make the situations more 'interesting' read: weird. If I didn't guard against this, we'd have scenarios with trained ocelots and laser-guided sharks.

6) The debriefing after each scenario is a special skill. The student should do most of the talking, not the instructor (DO NOT use a group of students to show off your own tactical intelligence. Primarily, because it is useless for the student. Secondarily, because no matter how many times you have trained the scenario, when the shit hits the fan for real, you might do no better than anyone else. Accept it. Grow up.) Thanks to Peter Breton, who sent an awesome e-mail about his own scenario, I'll be looking at these from both a tactical (including legal) and a strategic level, something I've usually glossed over in the past.

7) Don't do too many scenarios. Like the first black belt test, only the first scenario really shows you what the adrenaline will do. If you put someone through four or five, the last few are run like a game. The novelty wears off. A peer jury helps a lot. Having friends who you have to convince that you did the right thing puts some social pressure (and the attendant neurohormone cascade) on the student. But it still turns into a game. My ideal rhythm is one scenario in the morning probing for weaknesses and a scenario targeted at those weaknesses in the afternoon.

8) Knowing it is a scenario makes people do unnatural things. Confronted by a Monkey Dancer in a bar, leaving is sensible. People leave in a scenario who don't leave in real life (and people step in who wouldn't in real life). That is stuff for the debrief.

Above all, be safe and learn stuff.

© - 2010 - Rory Miller
"The quality of your life is a direct reflection of the quality of your communication with yourself and others." - Anthony Robbins
http://jahozafat.com/0029585851/MP3S/Movies/Pulp_Fiction/dicks.mp3
"Communications without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communications is irrelevant." ~ Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC

06 octobre 2010 à 16:47:22
Réponse #1

Eric Lem

Screw that. Part of being a bad guy is taking delight in hurting people at their most emotionally vulnerable points...

... And I love being BAAAAAD!  ;#

Très bon article (once again).
En effet, on a vite fait de tomber dans les erreurs qui sont décrites, et, blague à part, aller volontairement heurter des gens que vous connaissez de la façon la plus dégueu et la plus déstabilisante que vous pouvez trouver, c'est pas aussi évident que ça en a l'air.

Peace,

Eric.
"...everyone's got their path brother.... choose wisely." - R. Dimitri
"La "baffe de gitan" j'imagine la grosse baffe de cow boy : c'est un moyen de dialogue qui peut permettre la syntonisation." - Kilbith

http://www.acdsbelgium.org/

06 octobre 2010 à 17:09:59
Réponse #2

H.H.L

Merci pour l'article, vraiment intéressant.

Qui est Rory Miller ?

06 octobre 2010 à 17:32:42
Réponse #3

VieuxMora

Excellent,
On retrouve les principes de la pédagogie parfaitement expliqués et utiles aussi dans ces situations à très haute charge émotionelle.
En particulier le point 5, qui est un piège classique pour les jeunes "trainers": vouloir sophistiquer leurs scénarios au fur et à mesure qu'ils rencontrent de nouveaux participants, alors que cette situation devenue banale pour eux est toujours une première fois pour celui qui la découvre. 

06 octobre 2010 à 17:42:51
Réponse #4

** Serge **

"The quality of your life is a direct reflection of the quality of your communication with yourself and others." - Anthony Robbins
"Communications without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communications is irrelevant." ~ Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC

07 octobre 2010 à 00:04:13
Réponse #5

Rod

:up: Très bon article...
Il y expose clairement toute la difficulté du travail en scénario...

07 octobre 2010 à 12:28:21
Réponse #6

mrmagoo

http://translate.google.fr/#en|fr|
C'est pas la panacée mais ça permet d'avoir le sens général de l'article.
Dolus an virtus quis in hoste requirat ?

15 novembre 2010 à 12:42:23
Réponse #7

** Mathieu **

Salut,

Est-ce que quelqu'un a lu Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence de Rory Miller

Est-ce que c'est abordable, je veux dire est-ce que ça se lit aussi facilement que le Combatives for Street Survival de Kelly McCann ?

Ma question c'est surtout par rapport au niveau d'anglais requis, car quand ça devient trop littéraire ou trop écrit en général je décroche car la lecture est trop fatigante...

Est-ce que l'on a quelque chose de très pragmatique ou bien est-ce réellement des méditations donc plus de la cogitation ?

15 novembre 2010 à 12:51:50
Réponse #8

** Serge **

Le niveau linguistique est, je pense, abordable.

Le livre apporte une réflexion, une méditation sur un sujet global. Je le pense moins pragmatique que d'autres, peut-être plus destiné à des personnes entamant à peine une démarche de pensée dans le sens de la protection personnelle et, certainement, sujet à discordes.

Je trouve qu'il en vaut la lecture, mais  doute qu'il apporte plus que ce que l'on trouve déjà dans les colonnes fournies de notre rubrique.

15 novembre 2010 à 13:25:50
Réponse #9

** Mathieu **

OK merci Serge  :up:

Donc je laisse de côté...

15 novembre 2010 à 23:56:07
Réponse #10

Rod

Est-ce que quelqu'un a lu Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence de Rory Miller
http://www.acdsbelgium.org/reviews/meditations-on-violence/
Rendons à mon Presidente ce qui lui appartient... ;) :up: ;D

Le bouquin est vraiment bien mais pas indispensable selon moi... Evidemment c'est plus bénéfique à lire que Karate Bullshido ou Pro Securitate... ;)

06 décembre 2011 à 13:45:36
Réponse #11

** Serge **

David me posait ( en MP ) une question à propos de Miller et, en toute honnêteté, je me dois maintenant de préciser que si certains ( nombreux ) écrits de celui-ci sont excessivement pertinents et bien construits, des documents récents commençant  à apparaître sur le net ainsi que des retours d'expérience de companeros permettent aujourd'hui de pouvoir assimiler cet instructeur à la famille de Marc Mc Young :

littérairement, pertinents; physiquement et instructivement, peut-être moins.

Donc, conservons une distance critique.
« Modifié: 06 décembre 2011 à 20:31:37 par ** Serge ** »

Keep in mind

Bienveillance, n.f. : disposition affective d'une volonté qui vise le bien et le bonheur d'autrui. (Wikipedia).

« [...] ce qui devrait toujours nous éveiller quant à l'obligation de s'adresser à l'autre comme l'on voudrait que l'on s'adresse à nous :
avec bienveillance, curiosité et un appétit pour le dialogue et la réflexion que l'interlocuteur peut susciter. »

Soutenez le Forum

Les dons se font sur une base totalement libre. Les infos du forum sont, ont toujours été, et resteront toujours accessibles gratuitement.
Discussion relative au financement du forum ici.

Publicité

// // //